Zoological Society of London
Zoological Society of London (ZSL) are seeking an individual with extensive leadership experience to drive forward the Kenya Country Programme. The successful candidate will be ZSL’s representative in Kenya and be responsible for the management and strategic direction of the Programme. The post holder will report to ZSL’s Senior Programme Manager for Africa in London and oversee all ZSL’s operations in Kenya. The successful candidate will be expected to maintain and expand ZSL presence in Kenya, building on achievements to date, maintaining existing partnerships, exploring and developing new relationships and securing funding to support the programme.
- Lead the development, management, and implementation of the ZSL Kenya Country Strategy.
- Responsible for making key, strategic in-country operational decisions in consultation with Senior Programme Manager for Africa and the Director of Conservation.
- Recruitment and management of staff, including performance monitoring, mentoring, and training.
- Ensuring that the country budget is appropriately managed, spent, documented, and reported on, both internally and externally.
- Responsible for the generation of accurate and timely financial and programmatic reports to donors, stakeholders, government, and ZSL.
- Track, manage and report on the performance of the Programme, including monitoring and evaluation of financial and technical deliverables and its impact.
- Maintain and nurture existing, and develop new, relationships and partnerships with relevant actors in the country, including government authorities, donor agencies, national and international NGOs, private sector and research institutions.
- Identify fundraising opportunities and secure funds for the programme, including the preparation of fundraising proposals.
- Ensure full compliance with all ZSL UK and Kenya policies, Kenyan legal and registration requirements, and conditions of grants.
This is a senior management level position which requires proven leadership experience and experience of managing multiple projects, teams of people and associated resources in developing countries. The successful applicant will have a track record of strategic programme development, securing and managing funds from a range of funding sources and experience of developing and managing relationships with partners and donors. Candidates should also have:
- An excellent standard of written and spoken English. A basic knowledge of Kiswahili is desirable.
- Demonstrated experience in developing, implementing and evaluating strategic plans.
- People management, coaching and capacity building/development skills.
- Strong skills in project planning, financing, management, implementation, and evaluation.
- A good knowledge and understanding of current international and Africa specific biodiversity conservation issues and, ideally protected area management.
- Excellent understanding and experience in developing partnerships, fund-raising, donor strategies, functions, governmental and international relations.
Please note: The post will be based in Nairobi with significant national travel to field sites in Kenya and to attend meetings and workshops. The work will include extended periods in field conditions. Travel requirements fluctuate through the year, but can take up to 50% of this role. The position is to start as soon as possible. A full job description is available from https://careers-zsl.icims.com/jobs/2039/country-manager%2c-kenya-%28full-time—permanent%29/job
Applicants should apply through ZSL’s website www.zsl.org/jobs and include a CV (maximum 3 pages) and a covering letter detailing relevant experience and skills and stating why they want the position. If you have any queries regarding this position or when applying through the system please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing date for applications: Midnight (23:59) GMT 7th May 2018.
The Zoological Society of London is a charity registered in England and Wales: no. 208728.