SANCCOB, a leading marine conservation non-profit organisation, seeks to employ a full-time Volunteer and Intern Co-ordinator to join the team in Table View, Cape Town. The successful incumbent will report to the Education Supervisor of SANCCOB Cape Town and will be responsible for developing and managing the volunteer, intern, and animal professional experience programmes.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Market and develop SANCCOB’s volunteer and internship programmes against predetermined financial targets.
- Build and maintain relationships with volunteer companies, caseworkers and all other stakeholders, both existing and new.
- Recruit volunteers and interns and ensure that they are appropriately placed within the organisation.
- Be responsible for the flow of volunteers and interns at SANCCOB to meet capacity needs and according to set quotas, including monthly scheduling and rostering.
- Coordinate all aspects of the volunteer and internship programmes, including day-to-day management of volunteers and interns.
- Coordinate orientation sessions, networking, and training sessions to provide volunteers and interns with knowledge and skills to contribute in a meaningful way during their time at SANCCOB.
- Offer advice, information and support to volunteers and interns, and external organisations, through face-to-face, telephone, virtual calls, and e-mail contact.
- Prepare surveys to evaluate the programmes, provide reference letters and certificates.
- Host open days and monthly social events.
- Maintain databases and all other administrative duties related to volunteers and interns.
- Manage the volunteer and intern budget.
- Build relationships with current and new volunteers and interns, ensuring they feel appreciated.
- Be the contact person for SANCCOB internship programmes through which SANCCOB acts as a host institution and be responsible for all communication and reporting.
- Facilitate the set-up of intern training plans and mentor meetings between interns and SANCCOB assigned mentors to ensure a structured internship programme.
- Coordinate all volunteers and interns during emergency response and crisis situations such as oil spills or any other large influx of seabirds.
- Assist the education department with duties relating to tours and the management of the merchandise shop, including stock takes, daily cash up and general sales.
- Ensure that the volunteer and internship programme is always implemented to the high standards that SANCCOB encompasses.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to develop a positive relationship with a diverse group of individuals, while maintaining a strong sense of professionalism.
- Practical problem solving and organisational skills, with great attention to detail.
- Ability to develop written content and excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- A friendly and positive attitude.
- Ability to adhere to deadlines.
- Ability to work proactively as part of a team and also individually.
- Ability to mentor and coach others.
- A people-focused individual with a strong sense of ownership and accountability.
- A strong work ethic and commitment to conservation is necessary.
Experience and qualifications:
- Previous people management/coordination experience essential.
- Prior experience in the conservation sector, and knowledge of the volunteer (local and/or international) industry will be an advantage.
- Advanced computer skills (Microsoft Office Suite).
- High school diploma (a tertiary qualification in human resources and/or people management related fields will be an advantage).
- Clear criminal and credit record.
- South African citizen.
- Valid Code 8 driver’s license.
Please send your CV (max. 3 pages) with contactable referees and a letter of motivation for attention of SANCCOB’s Cape Town Centre Education Supervisor: Sharnay Wagner: email@example.com
Deadline for applications: Wednesday, 21 September 2022 at 17h00.
Management will not accept telephonic applications and will only correspond with applicants chosen for interviews.