In the heart of the Congo Basin, the Tri-National Dja-Odzala-Minkebe (TRIDOM) Landscape covers nearly 10% of the rainforests (178,000 km²) in Cameroon, Gabon, and Congo-Brazzaville, and currently includes 11 protected areas (in total 42,319 km² or 24% of TRIDOM). This Landscape is one of the priority Landscape for WWF because it holds the largest elephant population in the Congo Basin (estimated at up to 40,000, though rapidly declining) and harbors most of the biodiversity typically found in central Africa’s rainforests, including both western gorillas and central chimpanzees (estimated at up to 140,000). TRIDOM has only some 250,000 inhabitants (typically 1 inh/km² average density) including an estimated 10,000 Baka indigenous people.
There is currently a narrow window to influence major REDD (+) financing and develop multi-million USD public finance landscape programmes through e.g. FCPF, GCF, CAFI and LDNF for the TRIDOM landscape. Hence, we are looking for a motivated and passionate professional for the position of TRIDOM Landscape Financing Coordinator whose role will be to support the development of project concepts and ensure their alignment and coherence with Emission Reduction-Programs design process in Cameroon and Congo, and eventual GCF proposals for Gabon (or other green funding sources under development).
Location: Preferably Libreville, Gabon opened to Yaoundé or Brazzaville
1- Build capacity within WWF offices in Cameroon, Gabon and Republic of Congo in Landscape programs/bankable projects design and financing
- Develop an understanding among WWF staff and key partners of the landscape approach and landscape finance application in TRIDOM;
- Train WWF team members and related staff on landscape approaches, carbon and other finance and other related matters based on training provided through the Sustainable Landscapes ACAI and Landscape Finance Lab.
2- Develop project proposals with partners
- Develop project concept(s) and assess potential funding sources for the conservation areas and reduced-impact logging options in (i) Ngoyla Mintom, (ii) Atama Corridor and (iii) ETIC area;
- Mobilize and liaise with a group of corporate partners and investors active or interested in transforming practices and investing in green development in TRIDOM in collaboration with the relevant WWF Practices;
- Develop green finance / reduced carbon emission proposals in (TRIDOM) Gabon (in collaboration with the GCF or other funding sources).
3 – Influence large-scale programs in the area (FCPF ER-Programs, CAFI initiative, GEF…)
The TRIDOM Landscape Financing Coordinator will be supported by the Landscape Finance Lab team and platform, that will provide methodological & communication tools and relevant technical expertise (carbon methodology, economical analysis, investors contact…).
What you need:
Required qualifications & experience
- At least a Master degree or equivalent in natural resource management/ economics, Forest, Agriculture, Finance or related fields;
- At least 5 years’ experience in natural resource management/economics, forest or agriculture or finance sectors. Ideally in Central Africa;
- Skilled communicator (fluent in English and French);
- Ability to translate information and work across disciplines;
- Strong MS Office skills, including Word and Excel;
- Ability to command the confidence of people at all levels of seniority;
- An enthusiastic team player, with experience of collaborative working.
Required skills and competencies
- Economics analysis skills and ideally carbon analysis, business plan development etc.;
- Strong capacities in writing concepts and proposals;
- Ability and track records in establishing contacts and maintaining relationships with partners and donors;
- Proven experience in effectively animating working groups & providing technical assistance and trainings
- interpersonal skills and ability to deal with multiple teams located in multiple locations (virtual teams);
- Experience in raising and mobilizing funding;
- Excellent negotiation, diplomacy and lobbying skills;
- Adherence to WWF’s values: knowledgeable, Optimistic, determined and Engaging.
How to apply?
Email a cover letter and CV to email@example.com
The subject should read TRIDOM-LFC Deadline for applications: 28 February 2019. Thank you in advance for your interest in this position. Please note that only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted for follow up. If you have not been contacted six (6) weeks after closing, consider your application unsuccessful.
WWF is an equal opportunity employer and committed to having a diverse workforce