The Cape Leopard Trust
Conservation Coordinator (Two-year fixed term contract)
The Cape Leopard Trust (CLT) is a not-for-profit conservation organisation based in the Western Cape, South Africa (capeleopard.org.za). The CLT facilitates and promotes coexistence of leopards and humans, through research, conservation and education, to support biodiversity and critical ecosystems. The CLT is seeking to appoint a dynamic and motivated individual to coordinate and execute conservation and outreach activities across the Western Cape.
Reporting to the Research & Conservation Director, the Conservation Coordinator will develop and implement conservation initiatives in collaboration with communities, private landowners and organisations to promote human-wildlife coexistence, improve livelihoods and to protect leopards and their ecosystems. This full time position requires frequent travel within the Western Cape and the successful candidate should preferably reside between the Winelands and the Cederberg. The candidate should be available to start work in June 2022.
- Create and implement initiatives to strengthen biodiversity and leopard conservation;
- Regular communication with communities, private landowners / managers and organisations;
- Conduct public presentations and training workshops for a wide variety of audiences;
- Write grant proposals and funding applications;
- Compile reports and keep accurate records;
- Facilitate relationships with project donors;
- Manage the day-to-day activities of the Community Outreach Officer;
- Assist with procurement, collection and maintenance of fieldwork equipment and vehicles;
- Be a responsible and presentable ambassador for the Trust.
- MSc degree in nature conservation or another related field;
- At least three years’ of demonstrable experience promoting farming and living sustainably alongside wildlife, preferably with a carnivore focus;
- Experience in project management and fundraising;
- Ability to lead and manage team members in an effective and professional manner;
- Knowledge of practical conservation and African conservation issues is essential. Knowledge of biodiversity stewardship is desirable;
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills. We require someone who can calmly, effectively and diplomatically discuss positive land management practices in potentially stressful situations;
- Advanced organisational and event planning skills;
- Valid and clean driver’s license (manual transmission), 4×4 driving experience is an advantage;
- Excellent spoken and written English and Afrikaans, understanding of Xhosa is an advantage;
- Private medical insurance compulsory.
Remuneration and benefits:
- Salary: R 26 000 – R 28 000 gross per month dependent on experience;
- Limited supply of Hi-Tec and CLT branded clothing;
- Use of a CLT vehicle for work purposes;
- Business cell phone;
- On request, accommodation in the Cederberg may be provided.
Individuals who meet the above criteria should apply by submitting a CV, a letter of motivation outlining your suitability for the role, relevant experience and timing of your availability, as well as the contact details for three references to Dr Kathryn Williams: firstname.lastname@example.org by the 22 April 2022 deadline. Please specify ‘Conservation Coordinator’ in the subject line of the email.
Please note only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview, within 4 working days following the closing date.
*The Cape Leopard Trust is an equal opportunities employer and the organisation complies with all employment and labour laws and regulations which ensures that candidates from all backgrounds are fairly and consistently considered. We are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment in which all team members are valued.
*The Cape Leopard Trust reserves the right not to make an appointment to the position as advertised.