SANCCOB (Southern African Foundation for the Conservation of Coastal Birds), an internationally recognised seabird conservation organisation, is seeking to employ a Seabird Rehabilitation Supervisor to join their Port Elizabeth team on a full-time basis. This is a new position and it provides an exciting opportunity for a self-motivated individual, who understands the importance of providing specialist husbandry care to seabirds undergoing rehabilitation for release, and with the vision to develop and implement SANCCOB’s mission, to conserve Southern Africa’s seabirds for future generations, in the Eastern Cape. The position is particularly suited to a personable and practical individual, with the ability to travel at short notice, and who wants to use their skills to make a difference for seabird conservation.
The Seabird Rehabilitation Supervisor will direct the seabird rehabilitation team, including staff, interns and volunteers and will report to the Port Elizabeth Centre Manager.
- Day-to-day supervision of all seabird rehabilitation and chick rearing activities at the Port Elizabeth facility and to ensure that protocols and standards are maintained at the highest level;
- Under the supervision of the private Veterinarian as well as the Compulsory Community Service Veterinarian assigned to SANCCOB PE, deliver appropriate veterinary treatment for those birds that require it and liaise with the veterinary team on a regular basis;
- Daily care and treatment of African penguins and other seabirds including after hours on-call duty;
- Hygiene, biosecurity and maintenance of bird enclosures, pools and rehabilitation centre;
- Responsible for training and the supervision of rehabilitation staff, interns and volunteers as per SANCCOB’s protocols;
- Assist with conducting tours of the facility with visitors and donors;
- Responsible for the administration and record keeping for the rehabilitation department and volunteer activities.
The position is physically demanding in nature and requires someone who is a team player, hardworking and self-motivated with a love of seabirds and conservation, and with a personable, caring and compassionate nature. The successful person should be comfortable working long hours, including over weekends and public holidays, and in all-weather conditions.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Demonstrable experience in avian conservation, veterinary nursing and/or rehabilitation will be advantageous
- A tertiary qualification in Biological Science, wildlife or conservation preferred
- Demonstrable experience managing small teams and/or volunteers is required
- Demonstrable experience in avian conservation, animal husbandry and welfare preferred
- A valid driver’s licence
- Computer literate (Microsoft Office package)
- Only open to South African ID holders
Please forward a CV with at least 2 contactable references (max. 3 pages) and a letter of motivation to SANCCOB’s Port Elizabeth Manager – firstname.lastname@example.org and SANCCOB’s Rehabilitation Manager – email@example.com
Closing date for applications is Sunday, 30 June 2019 at 17h00
Management will not accept telephonic applications and will only correspond with applicants selected for interviews.