SANCCOB, a leading marine conservation non-profit organisation, seeks to employ a Seabird Monitor to join their dynamic team. The incumbent will be responsible for maintaining a high quality service to SANCCOB and SANParks by upholding their conservation mandates.
The position will be based on Bird Island, to carry out conservation related duties that will contribute to the overall protection of the Endangered African penguin, Cape gannet and other seabirds.
- Reporting directly to the Section Ranger, conduct regular monitoring and surveillance of seabird colonies and identify seabirds at risk;
- Rescue injured, oiled or abandoned penguins and other seabirds;
- Apply basic stabilisation and animal husbandry to rescued penguins and other seabirds (in accordance with SANCCOB’s protocols);
- Maintain the designated store room, stabilisation unit and rehabilitation/response equipment;
- Provide assistance to a long-term demographic project, by providing support to qualified persons undertaking the injection of microchips (transponders) to identify individual penguins and by maintaining installed ground readers on the island;
- Record sightings of transpondered penguins and birds marked with bird rings;
- Provide support and assistance to the SANParks Section Ranger, specifically in the African penguin and Cape gannet colonies within the Addo Elephant NP Marine Protected Area;
- Field surveys: baseline data collection and ecological monitoring, including penguin nest boxes;
- Provide support and assistance to approved research projects pertaining to seabirds;
- Produce required reports and data sheets timeously.
- A passion for seabirds and the marine environment is essential;
- A conservation or biological diploma or higher;
- Minimum 2 years working experience in the environmental or conservation field;
- A valid Code-B driver’s licence;
- Ability to swim;
- Physical fitness;
- Previous experience of isolated working conditions or working on islands desirable;
- Willingness to work irregular hours (2-3 weeks on Bird Island, 1 week time off);
- Willingness to work infield at times during inclement weather conditions;
- Ability to work unsupervised and is self-motivated;
- Experience with Microsoft Office software (Access, Excel, Word) required;
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to operate well in a team.
Please send your CV (max. 3 pages) with contactable referees and a letter of motivation for attention: Margot Collett, Centre Manager SANCCOB PE to email@example.com
Deadline for applications: 16 October 2019, 17h00
Management will not accept telephonic applications and will only correspond with applicants chosen for interviews.