Lilongwe Wildlife Centre
Lilongwe Wildlife Trust (LWT) was established in 2009 when we opened the doors to Malawi’s first sanctuary, Lilongwe Wildlife Centre. Since then we have grown to become one of the country’s leading conservation NGOs. Our mission is to save wildlife, campaign for conservation justice and inspire people to value and protect nature in Malawi. Working in collaboration with local and international partners, we respond to urgent conservation challenges as well as drive long-term social and institutional change.
The LWC General Manager (GM) provides leadership and inspiration to achieve LWC’s objectives. The GM will ensure that our wildlife rehabilitation and field veterinary programme continue to deliver the highest standards of care and welfare and oversee the environmental education programme for a range of audiences. A primary part of this role is to assist with the development of new income streams and visitor experiences for local and international audiences. The GM must have proven experience managing an accredited wildlife sanctuary or similar including people and financial management. This is an integral, senior management role and you will be joining LWT at an exciting time as we expand the educational and leisure opportunities in nature at LWC’s beautiful oasis in the heart of the capital city.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Overseeing LWC’s wildlife rehabilitation and education programmes
• LWC Business Plan development and implementation
• Site operations and security
• Visitor experience and representation
• Staff management and development
• Grant and financial management
Education and Work Experience Requirements:
• At least 5 years’ demonstrable experience in a similar management role in an accredited wildlife sanctuary or nature conservation project which included animal management and a schools/visitor programme.
• Must have a passion for nature conservation.
• Relevant qualifications in wildlife conservation/animal management or tourism.
• Demonstrable experience in financial management (with budgets of up to $200,000).
• Proven experience of working independently and carrying out assignments to a high standard within budget and timelines.
• Excellent computer proficiency (Microsoft Office Professional including Excel).
• Fluent English (written and spoken), including report writing experience.
• Physically fit.
• Full clean driving license.
• Demonstrable experience managing and working in partnership with other organizations, including government partners.
• Demonstrable experience in procurement and stock management.
• Experience in site maintenance and management.
• Experience of living or working in Southern or Eastern Africa or elsewhere in a low-income country.
Please send a CV (max 2 pages) and cover letter (max 2 pages) outlining your qualifications, experience and motivation for the role to Tom Mixer, Operations Director email@example.com by 15/08/22. Short listed applicants will be sent a detailed terms of reference and invited for an interview in the w/c 22/08/22