An opportunity to lead a pioneering international wildlife protection association
The Pan African Sanctuary Alliance (PASA), the largest association of wildlife centers in Africa, is growing rapidly and expanding the scope of its programs and its networks. The Alliance addresses some of the most urgent threats to the conservation of wildlife, in addition to rescuing and caring for the victims of those threats. This is a unique opportunity to work on a global scale while making a direct impact on the ground.
In this full-time position, you will manage seven high-performing staff and a budget of over $1 million USD. You will collaborate closely with the leaders of PASA’s 23 member wildlife sanctuaries in 13 countries across Africa, whose 700 staff provide for more than 3,000 rescued primates and conduct diverse education, community development, and conservation programs. Furthermore, you will liaise with PASA’s networks of NGOs and specialists worldwide.
To fill this position, you must be able to oversee all aspects of a growing nonprofit organization and have proven success with diverse fundraising approaches. Additional qualifications include the ability to both think strategically and oversee tactical implementation, excellent interpersonal skills, cross-cultural experience, and success in planning and managing multifaceted projects.
While working remotely is possible, preference will be given to people who will be based in Portland, Oregon, USA (where about half of PASA’s staff are located).
Please see the full job description below for more details.
To apply: please send a cover letter, your resume/CV, and contact information of three references to info@PASA.org.
Application deadline: November 11, 2021.
Pan African Sanctuary Alliance (PASA)
Position Description: Executive Director
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director has overall strategic and operational responsibility for the effective implementation of PASA International’s programs, finances, fundraising, marketing and communications, human resources, and expansion, to execute its mission to support and represent PASA members in their critical work to protect and prevent the extinction of Africa’s primates.
- Full time employment
- A minimum two year commitment is expected; longer is preferred
- Reporting to the Board of Directors
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Provide the vision and leadership to ensure the implementation of strategic plans, secure the necessary resources, and collaborate with the Board of Directors to create new strategic plans
- Work with PASA’s development team to raise the funds needed to support PASA’s continuing growth
- Lead the expansion of PASA International to become a more impactful and reputable organization capable of delivering its vision
- Lead, motivate, and evaluate other management staff, while focusing on strategy and allowing other staff to manage daily operations
- In collaboration with PASA staff, member sanctuaries, and other partners, create effective programs that further PASA’s mission and oversee their implementation and evaluation
- Liaise with, advise, and help build the Board of Directors
- Ensure PASA builds the capacity of member sanctuaries, equitably balances their needs, and helps them to manage emergencies
- Cultivate and maintain strategic partnerships with other conservation and animal protection organizations and agencies worldwide, as well as relationships with sanctuary leaders, donors, and foundation representatives
- Oversee PASA International’s finances, including monitoring the budget and ensuring sound financial controls are in place
- Represent the Alliance to the media and the public
- Excellent interpersonal skills, particularly empowering capable staff to maximize their strengths and maintaining harmony among diverse stakeholders
- Five or more years of proven success with diverse fundraising approaches and cultivating relationships with foundations and major donors, resulting in significant grants and donations
- Ability to both think strategically and oversee tactical implementation
- Demonstrated cross-cultural experience, including in developing countries
- Five or more years of demonstrated success in independently planning and managing challenging or multifaceted projects, ensuring they are completed within deadlines and budgets
- Ability to adapt to changing and sometimes unpredictable circumstances while ensuring objectives are achieved
- Impeccable written and verbal communication skills in English
- Demonstrated passion for animal welfare and/or wildlife conservation
- Conversational French is preferred
- Experience with international policy, and/or government relations is preferred
About PASA: Created in 2000, the Pan African Sanctuary Alliance (PASA) is the largest association of wildlife centers and sanctuaries in Africa, consisting of 23 organizations in 13 countries. The Alliance is securing the future for Africa’s primates by rescuing and caring for orphaned and abused apes and monkeys, protecting endangered primates from extinction, working to stop the hunting of endangered species and the cruel primate pet trade, educating the public, and empowering communities. PASA International advocates on a global scale, provides vital support, and works closely with members as well as a diverse community of veterinary professionals, local leaders, researchers & scientists, animal welfare advocates, wildlife conservationists, volunteers, and supporters from around the world.