Wildlife Conservation Society
The Zoological Society of London (ZSL), a charity founded in 1826, is a world-renowned centre of excellence for conservation science and applied conservation. ZSL’s mission is to promote and achieve the worldwide conservation of animals and their habitats. This is realised by carrying out field conservation and research in over 50 countries across the globe and through education and awareness-raising at our two zoos, ZSL London Zoo and ZSL Whipsnade Zoo, inspiring people to take conservation action.
ZSL’s Cameroon programme is looking to recruit a dynamic individual for an exciting new position of Douala Edea Project Manager to support its programmatic activities in the Douala Edea Landscape. ZSL has been working in Douala Edea since 2012 supporting conservation efforts of the Ministry of Forestry and Fauna (MINFOF) and community-based conservation of forests, freshwater species, and fisheries.
The post-holder will have experience with conservation, natural resource management, community development and working in engaging and challenging environments.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
This position will manage, in coordination with the Deputy Programme Manager, all aspects of ZSL activities in the DE Landscape. This will include:
- Effectively managing the team of staff, contractors, partners and other personnel responsible for delivering project activities
- Providing technical oversight and input into all project activities
- Ensuring that a robust Monitoring and Evaluation plan is in place and working with the ZSL team and partners to ensure that the project is achieving deliverables and having intended conservation impact.
- Maintenance of existing, and development of new, relationships and partnerships with relevant stakeholders and communication and liaison with senior officials to communicate the aims and achievements of the programme and ZSL in a professional and engaging fashion to foster collaborations and funding opportunities.
- Strong experience in the field of conservation/natural resource management or work experience in a relevant field.
- Experience in the design, planning, implementation and management of conservation, research and/or related donor funded aid projects.
- Proven experience of managing multiple people and teams with diverse backgrounds to deliver on objectives, meeting timelines and maintaining a high level or performance is essential.
- Have a track record of project development and writing successful fundraising proposals and securing funds from trusts, foundations and institutions.
- Experience of engaging with a wide range of stakeholders including international, national, governmental and non-governmental organisations, creating project related communication strategies and promotional material to a wide range of audiences.
- Fluent spoken and written French and English is essential.
- Experience of living and working in developing countries, ideally in the Central Africa region, is desirable.
A full job description is available here.
A salary commensurate with experience will be provided. This is a 1 year contract with potential for renewal, dependant on funding. The position is to start as soon as possible.
Please note –
This post is based in the Littoral Region, Cameroon with the requirement to travel frequently to field sites in the landscape, to ZSL Cameroon’s HQ in Yaoundé.
Applicants will need to upload their CV and covering letter (detailing relevant experience and skills, stating why they want the position and including details of availability) and can do this by clicking the “Apply for this job online” button. If you have any queries regarding these positions or when applying through the system please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing date for applications: Midnight Saturday 20th January 2018
The Zoological Society of London is a charity registered in England and Wales: no. 208728.