SANCCOB, a leading marine conservation non-profit organisation, seeks to employ a Centre Manager to join their team in Cape Recife, Port Elizabeth. The Centre Manager will be responsible for the management of SANCCOB’s Port Elizabeth operations and will report to the Chief Executive Officer of SANCCOB. South African citizens are invited to apply.
- Responsible for financial aspects of the centre, including: petty cash control, procurement of supplies and stock control, including the submission of weekly reports to Head Office in Cape Town.
- Overall budget management of the Port Elizabeth facility.
Human Resources and General Management
- To effectively manage and develop all staff at SANCCOB Port Elizabeth.
- Managing the human resources functions of the centres, including leave control and disciplinary proceedings.
- Ensure that SANCCOB’s standing operating procedures are updated annually and adhered to.
- Ensuring good corporate governance is practised and continuously developed and improved.
- Actively participate and represent SANCCOB at stakeholder meetings.
- To manage and oversee all aspects of centre maintenance.
- Ensure that a health and safety management plan is in place and adhered to.
Fundraising and Marketing
- To effectively manage the merchandising and coffee shop.
- Together with the Resource Development Manager create and manage a sustainable and diverse fundraising portfolio, with revenue streams including individual giving, major gifts, bequests, corporates, events, zoos & aquariums, trusts and foundations.
- Maintain relationships with current donors and ensure that funding deliverables are met.
- Together with the Resource Development Manager develop, implement and manage SANCCOB’s marketing activities and campaigns.
- Negotiate discounts and in-kind donations with suppliers.
- Ensure donors feel appreciated and are updated regularly with news from the centre.
Rehabilitation, animal welfare, conservation and research
- Oversee all aspects of seabird rehabilitation to ensure the highest quality of care.
- Assist in developing and participating in seabird conservation projects.
- Assist in developing and participating in research initiatives.
Oil spill preparedness and response
- Work with the Preparedness and Response Manager to ensure that the Eastern Cape centre and staff are ready and able to respond to oil spills.
- Represent SANCCOB in discussions around oil bunkering in Algoa Bay and any other issue seen as a threat to seabirds.
- Ensure quality educational programmes are offered.
- Ensure the development and conducting of interactive public tours of the SANCCOB centre.
- Develop the professional network between SANCCOB and other like-minded organisations.
- Oversee the SANCCOB volunteer and internship programme in the Eastern Cape.
- Coordinate work activities with the SANCCOB Education Department in the Western Cape.
- Collaborate and maintain relationships with volunteer organisations and tour operators to further the reach of SANCCOB.
- Oversee the construction of a new rehabilitation pool.
- Co-operate and work together with the other departments and staff at SANCCOB.
- Bachelor’s degree/diploma. A post-graduate qualification will be an added advantage.
- Minimum 5 years working experience in general management. Experience in seabird rehabilitation, natural science, education, marketing, basic maintenance, and fundraising an added advantage.
- Strong people management and development skills.
- Excellent work ethic and a positive attitude.
- An understanding of the non-profit sector.
- Computer skills (Microsoft Office Suite).
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Presentation and negotiation skills.
- A strong command of English as a working language is essential.
- Valid Code 8 drivers licence.
- Compassion and love for seabirds.
- Passionate about conservation.
Please send your CV (max. 3 pages) with contactable referees and a letter of motivation for attention: the Business Manager at email@example.com
Closing date for applications: 18 June 2019 by 17h00
Management will not accept telephonic applications and will only correspond with applicants chosen for interviews.