Founded to help prevent the further decline of the cheetah population and the increase the gene pool, Ashia is successfully returning captive born cheetahs into the protected wild of South African game reserves and national parks. We apply innovative and up to date husbandry techniques to all animals in our care, and after a remarkable start to our program, we need someone to help support us towards more cheetah releases and successes.
As the Animal Curator of Ashia, you will, in coordination with the Sanctuary Manager, not only manage the pre-wilding process (behavior, diet, fitness, etc.) of all cats destined to join the Wilding and Release Program, but also the daily care of cats that cannot be released due to health, age or genetics. You will also play a major role in Ashia’s non-commercial cheetah breeding program for release.
At Ashia we ask a lot of our employees, which is why we give so much in return.
– Have a powerful and direct impact on cheetah population numbers.
– Room for growth and development within the cheetah conservation field.
– Competitive salary.
– Live on-site with the Animal team in secure, modern and fully equipped housing with breakfast and lunch included.
– Utilities included.
Not everyone has the experience needed to be an Animal Curator. To be seriously considered for this role, please have the following in regard to:
– Experience: Rehabilitation of wild animals which may include behavioral training, crating and transport, diet requirements, medical requirements, working with young animals.
– Skills: Able to work in a pressured environment and understand the mechanics involved in working in a small team. Innovative ideas for strategies never applied to cheetah husbandry before. Computer literate.
– Characteristics: You must be self-motivated, self-sufficient and be able to initiate projects. A passion for motivating and educating those around you (staff and volunteers).
– South African ID holder
– Valid Driver’s license
A vast network of responsibilities will shape your day as well as your future career at Ashia.
– Animal Care (developing animal husbandry techniques unique to Ashia, developing and maintaining Animal Protocols, medication and supplement stock management, veterinary trips, staff training).
– Meat Procurement (coordinate staff with regards to food processing, food requirements, maintenance, hygiene).
– Volunteer Project (coordinate training, educational sessions, group activities).
– Regulatory Matters (permitting for relocation and transportation of animals).
– Visitor Activities (guiding educational and conservation driven tours and activities).
– Maintenance (in coordination with Animal Care staff and Farm Manager ensure all maintenance issues are resolved).
Please forward CV with at least 2 contactable references (max 3 pages) and a letter of motivation to the Sanctuary Manager: email@example.com
Deadline for applications: Tuesday, 10 March 2020, 17.00